- 6kg whole chicken
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- buck buck chicken rub
- 500g sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 300g carrots, cut into chunks
- 300g parsnips, peeled and cut into long batons
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken in a large roasting tin. Mix the Buck Buck chicken seasoning with 1 tbsp of the oil and roast for 25 mins.
- Mix the sweet potato, carrots, parsnips and onion in a bowl with ltbsp of the oil, lemon zest and plenty of ground black pepper, and toss together well.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and put on a plate. Scatter the vegetables into the tin, nestling the garlic cloves underneath, then put the chicken on top. Return to the oven for a further 45 mins, turning the veg after 20 mins until the chicken and veg are cooked
- Take the chicken out and place on a warmed platter. Cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 mins.
- Scatter the vegetables around the chicken and squeeze the garlic out of the skins and smear over the chicken, if you like.